Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Namaste Foods Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend

I found this flour blend at Costco last week and had to try it.  The flavor is very good and it incorporates into a bread recipe well.  I used it in pumpkin bread first.  There was no difference in the taste as compared to the same recipe made with wheat flour.  My kids loved it!  Then I made a pizza crust with it.  The flavor was excellent, but the crust was tough.  Right now I don't know it that was necessarily a problem with the flour or the other ingredients in the crust recipe, so I'll reserve my opinion on this until I have tried it with a different pizza crust formula.

The weight of the flour makes it a good all-purpose blend that should work well in most recipes.

The package touts the following benefits for those of us battling Celiac and other food allergies:
*  Allergen free facility
*  All natural
*  Whole grain brown rice
*  Vegan
*  Wheat and gluten free
*  No GMO ingredients
*  No preservatives
*  No potato
*  No corn
*  No casein

The "all natural" claim is meaningless, but all of the others provide helpful information.  I especially like that there are no genetically modified ingredients.

So, what does it contain?  Here's the list:
sweet brown rice flour, tapioca starch, arrowroot powder, sorghum flour and xanthan gum.

I'm a little perplexed at the claim that it has no corn, since the process of making xanthan gum involves using corn syrup as a growth medium.  You will know best if xanthan gum is something you must avoid.  Be aware that it is in this product.

I paid around $7 for this five pound bag and consider that to be an excellent price.

No comments:

Post a Comment