Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bread

Since leaving gluten behind, finding bread that tastes great and has the right texture has been really difficult.  I'm still struggling to make what I consider to be the perfect gluten-free bread on my own. As my recipes improve, I will share them with you here, including an explanation of the problems and solutions to making that perfect loaf.

Until then, I am using Udi's Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread.  It does not have that softness that is common in store-bought breads.  It's full of holes, too.  But when I'm in the mood for a "sammich", Udi's works because it tastes the way I expect bread to taste.

I buy my Udi's at Costco, and it runs close to $7.00 a loaf.  Yikes - right?  Compared to $1.19 for traditional wheat bread, it is pricy.  And that is why everyone in our house knows, "Don't touch Mom's Udi's!"

2 comments:

  1. I love Udi's bread, but I have just recently found another GF brand that I love even more......
    Canyon Bakehouse. I have bought it Whole Foods for $6.49, I like the 7 grain and Raisin. Yummy!
    Here is their website www.canyonglutenfree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Several stores close to me (Tom Thumb, Sprouts, and Market Street) sell that brand, so I am definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete